Monday, September 13, 2010

HOT!!



I've been riding everyday now for about a month. The most difficult challenge has not turned out to be the rain, but the heat. We ride everywhere. Now that my wife is getting more comfortable, we take the kids everywhere on our bikes. Last Monday (Memorial Day) we rode to Okeechobe and back. Nice ride down, but on the way back, we rode through pouring rain for 90 miles. It was miserable, especially for the kids. Since then, we have invested in rain suits for all which we put to good use yesterday afternoon on the ride home from I-drive.

The greatest challenge is the heat. The high heat (103 index yesterday) makes you sweat. A LOT. This, combined with rain and high Florida humidity leads to some unpleasent issues: namely stinky helmet and monkey butt. Stinky helmet I think we have solved (FYI: normal Febreze and air drying does NOT work.) I'll let you know when I have evidence for a permanent solution. Since the safety course, my wife insists that I wear jeans and a riding jacket whenever I'm riding. This combined with the heat has created some serious monky butt. Still working on this one. If you don't know what it is, look it up. Just know that it can make riding very uncomfortable. Here in Central Florida if you ride in the summer you are going to sweat heavily and often, so might as well get used to it.

O well, I knew daily riding would bring its set of challenges, but so far I'm still in it for good. The positives far outweigh the negatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment