Friday, November 5, 2010

SOLD




The PT is gone! Yeah, I sold it about a month ago so it's for real now. I only drove it one time in the last 3 months, but still, it was there if I 'needed' it.

It's been a while since I last posted. Now that I've been at it for a few months (about 8,000 miles put on the 2 motorcycles by my wife and me) here are a few of my thoughts on riding daily :
  • Monkey butt solved with Under Armour compression shorts on longish rides.
  • Stinky helmet solved with 1) a new helmet, and 2) lysol spray on days I sweat. Turns out its bacteria that makes the stink and Lysol kills it. My old helmet is back to smelling fresh, but I don't wear it much as my new one is much lighter and has a built in sun shield.
  • If your going to ride everyday be prepared to spend the money in order to get the right gear, if you're uncomfortable, you can't ride safely.
  • Maintenance is more expensive on a motorcycle. tires replaced every 5 thousand miles or so - these are expensive. The good news is you only have 2 tires. Oil changes are about the same as a car. I do these myself. You need to tighten the chains every 1,000 miles or so. The point is, motorcycling uses less fuel and insurance is cheaper, but overall it is not dramatically cheaper.
  • Riding is a great way to destress at the end of the day: no one can bother you while you are riding, it's just you and your thoughts.
  • Rain riding is a great experience with the proper gear.
  • Plan ahead for shopping as you can't carry much while riding. This has led to an unexpected bonus - much lower grocery bills.
  • Leave early and arrive early - depending on the weather it will take 2 - 5 extra minutes to suit up and un suit. Once you have this down, you find that you are seldom rushed and this adds to the low stress.
  • The more you ride, the more comfortable you get with the handling of your motorcycle. I now feel at one with the Nighthawk. I've ridden it for over 8,000 miles. I think you need about 10,000 miles on a motorcycle before you really 'know' it and can read all the feedback it gives you.
  • Our fuel bill is really low (under $50 a week and we travel about 100 miles a day during the week between the two of us).

No comments:

Post a Comment