Thursday, October 6, 2011

Gear


You gotta ride with the right gear.  I used to be a squib, you know: shorts, tee-shirt, no gloves.  Been doing that for 20 years (longer if you include riding off road).  Then I take my wife to the safety-safe class and now I have to ride with long pants, riding jacket, gloves, helmet, and boots that cover my ankle if its just for fun riding.  Well that saved my butt (ankle, actually) this past week.  I'd just topped off the tank and was taking off without looking enough and a truck comes flying across the parking lot in my blind spot.  I was just barely rolling, so when I grabbed a fistful of the front brake, the bike pitched forward to right and I had to stick my foot out to keep from laying it down.  The sudden stop meant that the bike was really torquing and when I stuck my foot down, it tried to roll my ankle.  Luckily I was wearing the boots in the pic and other than a small strain that quit hurting in a few days, I was fine.  Guess my wife was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment